Monday, March 11, 2013

The nice and the not so nice guys


So today I had this table that was really nice for almost the entirety of their experience. All up until the lady in the couple received her food.  After dropping off a customer’s food, it is customary that we as the server go back and ask if everything is ok. Depending on how busy we are, sometimes it may take a little longer than others.
So when I went to check on this woman and her crab legs, I could already tell by her face that she was not happy. It’s always such a drag to have to ask someone if they are satisfied when it’s written all over their expression that they are clearly unhappy. I asked, “is everything ok over here”, and the rambling began, but from the man, not the upset woman. That is something I’ll never understand.  When adults who are capable of speaking have someone else express their concerns.
The crab legs were too small, the butter was not hot enough, and she was having difficulty getting the meat out. After the kind sir explained this and he added, she gets them every Friday and loves them, but they are just not good today. It’s always good to know that someone just is not trying to get a free meal, but having an attitude along with it just doesn’t make anyone happy. I apologized, as I am obligated, basically taking the blame for the kitchens mistakes. I asked if she wanted anything else and she refused.
They insisted on the check immediately because she just wanted to leave. So I did as asked. The couple paid in cash and left me a dollar tip.  Moral of the story is, servers do not cook or prepare your food. We simply enter orders into a computer and deliver them to the customer hoping nothing was messed up in the process. If it was, it was usually not out fault so not tipping for this reason is just not acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment