Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Accent barriers. I don't know what you're saying.


            Being from Connecticut and living in the south has sometimes created a weird language barrier when trying to communicate with my guests. Sometimes I have to ask people that are clearly from the south to repeat themselves multiple times. I think I even understand foreigners from other countries better. I feel bad because I do not want them to get offended, but I can’t help it.
            The one time I was really shocked at how southern a southern accent could get was at the restaurant I worked at before the bar. I did my usual “Hey GUYS, (not y’all) hoe are you doing today? My name is Elizabeth and I’ll be taking care of you today. What can I get you started with to drink?” The man answered me by telling me that since it was hot outside, he was very thirsty. He asked me for a “big glass of ass water”. I was so confused, but instead of asking the man what he meant, I nodded my head and proceeded to the kitchen. I repeated in my head over and over “big glass of ass water” when the light bulb came on. BIG GLASS OF ICED WATER. It was like a revelation. All I could do is laugh at myself.
            I cannot be the only one this happens to though. I’m sure somewhere in New York when a little southern belle goes to explore the city, she encounters the same problem. Or when one of us Americans goes to a foreign country and tries to speak the native language. Maybe we should all just speak a little slower and clearer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment